Title: Project Accountant
Reports to: Business Finance Partner
The project accountant position is responsible for monitoring the progress of projects, investigating variances, approving expenses, and ensuring that project billings are issued to customers and payments collected in a timely manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create project accounts in the accountancy system.
- Provide Cost estimates for all live projects. Maintain all relevant income and expenditure for each project.
- Provide project managers and potentially clients with timely financial reports and budgets, as well as project forecasts.
- Create project Cashflows for sizeable projects. Monitor forecasted cashflow versus actual cashflow.
- Monitor receivable income and support project managers with debtor collections.
- Recognise requirement for variation orders specific to each project.
- Provide variance analysis comparing actual project results against forecast. Provide commentary on any variances.
- Provide pre billing information for project managers to review.
- Review and approve supplier invoices related to a project.
- Review and approve time sheers for work related to a project.
- Business Partnering with non-finance personnel in order to develop processes and the understanding of financial requirements.
- Develop financial systems along with IT support to make processes more user friendly.
- Assist in budget preparation by compiling consolidated project forecasting data.
- Assist in revenue recognition and accrual calculations specific to projects for month end preparation.
- Bachelors degree in accounting or similar
- 2 years as a project accountant or similar
- Advanced Excel/systems skills